MGCP reference (was Re: Megaco/H.gcp conference call)

Derks, Frank F.Derks at PBC.BE.PHILIPS.COM
Wed Jun 30 06:23:52 EDT 1999

HI Nancy,

maybe it is a good idea to post the history of all these protocols and their
relations (if any) to this list?

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy-M Greene [mailto:ngreene at NORTELNETWORKS.COM]
Sent: 29 June 1999 21:34
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: MGCP reference (was Re: Megaco/H.gcp conference call)

Chip, you are right, the name Telcordia/Level 3/RSL COM/Vertical MGCP is not
convenient. Christian has already made the same comment you have. I said in
reply to him, and to the list, that I did make an error in adding Cisco to
the qualifier for MGCP. Since then, I refer to the new Megaco protocol as
the Megaco protocol, or the Megaco/H.gcp protocol, and to MGCP as MGCP.

Since a new version of MGCP has come out, version 1,
(draft-huitema-megaco-mgcp-v1-00.txt), this distinction is even more
necessary. It makes sense that megaco is part of the file name, because
there are parts of MGCP that still need to be turned into RFCs for packages
for the Megaco/H.gcp protocol, but it means the new Megaco/H.gcp protocol
can never really be called MGCP - it is too confusing. It would be good at
some point to pull the packages out of MGCP to stand alone as a separate
document for Megaco. And perhaps the UDP + timers part of MGCP so that it
can stand beside TUDP, MDTP, and TCP as alternatives for Megaco transport.

Nancy
Nancy M. Greene
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks