H.323v3 for decision in September

Chris Purvis Chris.Purvis at MADGE.COM
Tue Jun 29 10:05:44 EDT 1999

Roni,

The reason for the addition of this text to H.323v3 was the death of what
was formerly known as H.450.8 (SS-CoC, Conference out of Consultation),
which I will refer to hereafter as H.450.CoC for convenience.  H.450.CoC
described an alternative method for setting up conferences out of
consultation which, if decided, would have left us with alternative,
incompatible methods of achieving the same feature.  I wrote documents on
the subject for the Monterey meeting (one APC, one TD, if I remember
rightly), and a revised version for Santiago, explaining how the behaviour
required by H.450.CoC could be achieved without it.  It was felt that
setting out the procedure in a standard was a useful thing to do, but that
H.450.CoC was unnecessarily heavyweight.  The natural conclusion of that was
to write up the procedures allowed by earlier versions of the standard
explicitly in H.323v3.

Hence:
1. It IS a minor change, because it doesn't actually change anything (beyond
the addition of a single releaseCompleteReason) - it merely sets out how
protocol already in existence can be used to achieve a particular aim.
2. Although the text was not agreed in Monterey as part of H.323v3, its
basis was discussed at other points in the Monterey meeting as well as at
Santiago.
3. It must have some use in the standard, to clear up misconceptions.  The
writers of H.450.CoC (who are extremely familiar with the H.323 family of
standards) obviously felt H.450.CoC was necessary (or they wouldn't have put
in the significant effort of writing it!) - whereas you're saying that the
text being added was already part of the protocol (with which I agree).

I find it hard to see your argument as self-consistent incidentally - if, as
you say, the added text is "just a procedure that is already part of the
previous text" (with which I agree), then surely as such it constitutes a
minor change!?

Regards,
Chris
--
Dr Chris Purvis - Senior Development Engineer, WAVE CC Software
Madge Networks Ltd, Wexham Springs, Framewood Road, Wexham, Berks.  ENGLAND