Proposed text for text telephone requirements in megaco

Gunnar Hellstrom Gunnar.Hellstrom at OMNITOR.SE
Thu Jun 24 12:34:06 EDT 1999

I don't believe there was any APC.  I introduced some ideas and proposed
text on the mailing list.  The text was revised in response to ensuing
discussion and Jim inserted it into the IG draft.  I agree it seems
contradictory.  The way it was written had changed "shall be the
first message sent" to "should be the first message sent".  The intention
was that you wouldn't have to send TCS, but if the peer got totally
confused about what was going on without it, the exchange would take
place.

I believe that the Monterey meeting rejected my "shall" to "should"
change but accepted everything else.  I unfortunately wasn't present
while this item was discussed.  However, notice that in the last
sentence of the paragraph, the EP "shall" respond to the TCS, and only
"should" complete a caps exchange before doing anything else.  So the EP
can still do things essentially in parallel.

As an aside, my belief is that other H.245 procedures besides MSD may be
initiated prior to completion of caps exchange, for example, OLC.

Regards,

Dave Walker
Mitel Corporation
Ontario, CANADA