H.GCP is about gateway recomposition, not decomposition..

Boaz Michaely Boaz_Michaely at VOCALTEC.COM
Thu Jun 3 13:45:40 EDT 1999

Dear Tom and all,
I fear that the most important aspect of our work is somewhat neglected :
interoperability.

Specifically, any working "decomposed" gateway today is obvisouly based on
one of the ancestors of MGCP.
On the other hand, the vast majority of VoIP traffic generating systems are
pure H.323.

Clearly, interoperability in this sense means that a MEGACO compliant MGC
will also be a H.GCP compliant MGC.
We must make sure that implementing MGC's this way is trivial, while
concentrating on audio-only aspects, *as a guideline*, may make this target
more difficult to achieve.
On the other hand, adhering to the concepts agreed upon in Santiago should
not slow down the megaco work, which in my mind is really at the detail
level.

In parallel, megaco expert participation is required in refining H.GCP, to
ensure the very same target.

(Tom, hope you had a nice vacation at your daughter's :-)

Boaz.

Boaz Michaely
VocalTec Communications Ltd
e-mail boaz at vocaltec.com

Tom-PT Taylor <taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM> on 02/06/99 04:49:47 PM

Please respond to Tom-PT Taylor <taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM>