PDU & ASN parser

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Wed Jun 30 12:28:03 EDT 1999

Guntram,

I raised this issue over a year ago. In addition, H.225.0 does not address
this issue regarding RAS (it does regarding call signaling), so I suppose one
could pack multiple RAS messages per unreliable-transport PDU. As you say, it
doesn't make sense to pack messages, and I don't think anyone does it. We
should probably add something like the following to section 6.1 of the next
revision of H.225.0.

"When messages are sent on the H.225.0 RAS channel, only one whole message
shall be sent within the boundaries defined by the transport; there shall be
no fragmentation of H.225.0 RAS messages across transport PDUs."

We should also insert the indicated text, below, into existing text in the
same section.

"When messages are sent on the reliable H.245 control channel, >>>exactly one
message should be sent but<<< more than one message may be sent within the
boundaries defined by the reliable transport PDU as long as whole messages are
sent;"

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Guntram Diehl [SMTP:gdiehl at innovaphone.com]
        Sent:   Wednesday, June 30, 1999 4:14 AM
        To:     'Bancroft Scott'; 'Srikanth Nayani'
        Cc:     'h323implementors at imtc.org'
        Subject:        RE: PDU & ASN parser

        Yes this can be done, but does any implementation actually do it? Why
        would anyone want to do this, it just saves 4 bytes tpkt header per
        additional H.245 message and it does not change the fragmentation of
the
        whole thing by IP.

        Or is there another reason why this was specified in the standard this
        way?

        Guntram