H.GCP / Megaco Audio call

Bryan Hill bhill at VIDEOSERVER.COM
Tue Jun 8 19:50:24 EDT 1999

In order to continue the cooperation between SG16 and the IETF, there will
be another Megaco/H.gcp conference call so that we have rough consensus on
what Brian Rosen will put into megaco-protocol-02 (Internet-Draft cutoff
date for IETF Oslo meeting is June 25/99).
In Megaco we have agreed to produce a completed audio-only version of the
megaco protocol for June 25th, but that this version would take into
consideration the proposals for multimedia in SG16's H.gcpSantiago so that
they can easily be added in a future version. We need to have an
"implementable" version of the Megaco protocol by the July Oslo meeting, or
we will have missed the boat.
It is expected that the megaco-protocol-02 would be an implementable audio
version of the Megaco/H.gcp protocol, and that SG16 would be able to add to
the protocol syntax, in a backwards compatible way, all that is necessary
for multimedia.
Proposed discussion topics:
1)      Termination naming - hierarchical or logical, or a combination with
TerminationId + Bearer?
2)      handling multplexing terminations - as in H.gcp? or as a new context
type?
3)      allowing one BearerDescriptor, and multiple MediaDescriptors per
termination - acceptable?
4)      decision on transport
5)      proposal for tagging the MediaDescriptor with its encoding: SDP or
H.GCP
6)      proposal for text vs binary encoding of the protocol
(draft-huitema-megaco-sdp-discuss-01.txt)
7)      multimedia vs monomedia contexts (related to #3)

Call Details