FW: Internet Telephony

Callaghan, Robert Robert.Callaghan at ICN.SIEMENS.COM
Wed Jul 21 13:39:38 EDT 1999

Tom,

in your report on the MEGACO meeting, I saw that the issue of text versus
binary still hasn't been resolved in a way that both parties ("IETF" and
"ITU") are satisfied. I.e. I do not assume that everybody agreed on a result
determined by flipping a coin. I am not sure whether you (or the group) are
(is) aware of what's going on in "encoding" land, so I would like to draw
the attention to the XER initiative (Xml Encoding Rules). Maybe this will
provide a (partial) way out of the impasse. Please have a look at:
http://asf.gils.net/xer/standard.html.

Regards,

Frank

Frank Derks                    |Tel  +31 35 6893238 |
Advanced Development           |Fax  +31 35 6891030 |
Philip Business Communications |P.O. Box 32         |
                               |1200 JD  Hilversum  |
                               |The Netherlands     |
E-mail: mailto:f.derks at pbc.be.philips.com           |
WWW: http://www.business-comms.be.philips.com       |