The current list of registered contributions

Noriko Hosokawa nonko at GITI.OR.JP
Wed Jul 21 01:52:54 EDT 1999

I would agree with Bob below in that the vast majority of
telecommunications
networks binary is used as an encoding method, its efficient, its
tested, debugged and interoperates but as mentioned elsewhere they're
old arguments but VERY valid.

I think we need to understand the scope of the H.GGP/248 protocol. Its
not just H.323 or SIP networks. The media controller and media gateway
architecture and the 'vertical protocol' which it infers has now been
adopted by many groups/forums. These include:
o MSF who have previously put in requirements on this group
o SG16 H.323
o ITU SG11 are working on Bearer independant call control BICC which
  will need a vertical protocol in the near future
o ANSI T1S1 BICC
o ETSI SPS1 BICC
o Will be used in 3rd Generation Mobile networks
These groups have successully worked with binary protocols.

o IETF MMUSIC SIP
Work with text.

o Cable labs    <- already chosen MGCP???
o Switch Switch <- already chosen MGCP

I think that we should be looking at the medium to long term future
of this protocol. If it is to be WIDELY adopted by all groups above
then we should be looking at the efficiency and interwork reasons
primarily NOT that it only takes 2 weeks, 10 pizzas and a 6 pack to
implement and its easy to debug at 3 in the morning.

I also think that it is unwise to let a 'toss of a coin' decide the
direction that was taken with regards to encoding on H.HCP/248 in this
light.

Regards, Christian