MEGACO Multi-Byte numeric quantity encoding

Lehecka, Gary R (SAIC) LeheckGR at BP.COM
Wed Jul 21 14:52:22 EDT 1999

Hi,

Many protocols use some form of "terse mnemonic" text encoding.
"Printable" symbols or tokens are chosen for their mnemonic value.

Depending on one's point of view,
These protocols can be viewed as binary encoded or text encoded.
Hopefully, a compromise can be arrived at.

Binary and Text encoding camps are arguing for their personal choice of
tools.

A tie breaker may be how we propose to encode multi-byte numeric quantities.
Big Endian, Little Endian, etc.

I would imagine that those proposing text encoding might be quicker to reach
an agreement,
than those proposing binary encoding.
Unless those proposing binary encoding are all willing to agree upon
something like
External Data Representation (XDR) RFC's 1014, 1790, and 1832 by Sun
Microsystems.

Danny Cohen, "On Holy Wars and a Plea for Peace", IEEE Computer, October
1981.
I have not read this, but it sounded appropriate!

Thanks,
Gary Lehecka
LeheckGR at BP.Com
BP  250 - 3671