Multiple aliases in ARQ destinationInfo

Santo Wiryaman swiryaman at VIDEOSERVER.COM
Fri Jan 22 18:40:18 EST 1999

As a GK developer, I share Paul Long's desire to arrive at some concensus on
how a GK (or a collection of GK's) should treat multiple aliases in an ARQ.
Several suggestions had been offered such as interpretation 1,
interpretation 4, interpretation 4 plus Chris' refinements, and so on.

Before we define how the GK should interpret multiple aliases, I think we
need to find out what the endpoints (or users of those endpoints) mean when
they send multiple aliases in a call.  In this short email discussion of 4
people, there seemed to be multiple opinions on what this means:

1. Paul Long envisions an endpoint that would send a call request,
specifying MULTIPLE aliases to the GK. These aliases match to different
systems (e.g. #@work, #@home, cellphone#, fax#, etc.).  The GK would find a
match to one of these devices and the call would get routed to one of them.

2. Jim Toga envisions an endpoint that would send a call request, specifying
MULTIPLE aliases to the GK.  These aliases all match to a single device.
The GK would find the device and the call would get connected.  The two
devices would then negotiate what kind of call it is (audio only vs.
multimedia) by way of evaluating the aliases in the order they were
specified.

3. Chris Purvis suggested an endpoint that would send a call request,
specifying MULTIPLE aliases to the GK. The first alias would be the GW of
choice. Subsequent alias(es) would contain the address of the "ultimate"
destination.

4. Chris Purvis described an endpoint that would send a call request,
specifying ONE alias to the GK.  This alias is assigned to a person who may
be in different places (i.e different endpoints) at different times. S/he
somehow notifies the system where to route the call.  At the time of the
call, the GK would consult a dBase and route the call to the endpoint where
the person is.  This scenario is not really relevant to the issue at hand
because the endpoint sends ONE alias in the ARQ.  It is mentioned here to
show as an example for how the objectives of scenario 1 can be accomplished
without sending multiple aliases.

5. Santo knows of systems out there (MCU's) that register multiple aliases,
each corresponding to a conference.  Say, MCU1 registers "CONF_A", "CONF_B",
"CONF_C" as its aliases.  When EP1 calls "CONF_A", the GK would return the
address of MCU1.  The SETUP from EP1 would later arrive at MCU1 and the
destination is "CONF_A".  Becuase of this, MCU1 knows that the endpoint
wants to joint "CONF_A" and the call is accepted.  However, if MCU1 receives
a SETUP with multiple destinations such as "CONF_A", "CONF_B", "CONF_C" it
might get confused and drop the call (or use interpretation 1 and therefore
use the first alias only).  This is an example of a potential problems that
can result from multiple aliases, not at the GK but at the destination
endpoint (e.g. an MCU).

I am sure the list above is not comprehensive.  If 3 or more people join in
the discussion they may have half a dozen more uses for multiple aliases.
Some of the multiple alias interpretations (such as #1 - #3 described above)
may all have valid and good reasons behind them.   Since there can be many
interpretations for multiple aliases from the users' point of view (some
perhaps conflicting, e.g. #1 conflicts with #3) , it would be hard to
specify a rule on the GK which can satisfy all the users' requirement.

Some comments to Jim Toga's posting are within the enclosed text.

-santo

        [Santo Wiryaman]  The DNS analogy is done today by e.g. an MCU
        registering multiple aliases for the same CallSignalAddress.  Even
if a machine
        has multiple DNS names (aliases) such as in:

        140.242.112.1  pj , PaulJ, pJones, Paul_Jones

        when user applications would "connect" to that system, they would
typically
        use one of them, e.g. :

          ping pj
          telnet Paul_Jones.XYZ.com
          ftp PaulJ

        What we are dealing here is specifying multiple destinations all at
once.    It is
        like saying:

           ftp m1,m2,m3,m4

        Which machine should the system connect to?  Perhaps m3 because m1
and
        m2 are on a different domain?

        I fully agree with Jim and Chris that routing and hunt-group
functionality should
        be implemented partly if no completely in the GK. I am still having
problem seeing
        how multiple aliases helps the process.  Unless, of course the GK is
setup to use
        the same interpretation rules as specified by the site.  Then this
becomes a site
        configuration issue doesn't it?

        Another facet to this is if the aliases have some implied (agreement