Multiple aliases in ARQ destinationInfo

Jim Toga jim.toga at INTEL.COM
Fri Jan 22 19:14:32 EST 1999

At 06:40 PM 1/22/99 -0500, Dr SantoW wrote:
>[SNIP]

>2. Jim Toga envisions an endpoint that would send a call request, specifying
>MULTIPLE aliases to the GK.  These aliases all match to a single device.
>The GK would find the device and the call would get connected.  The two
>devices would then negotiate what kind of call it is (audio only vs.
>multimedia) by way of evaluating the aliases in the order they were
>specified.

Note quite what I meant to imply.....

The client _MAY_ present multiple aliases to the GK.  These aliases MAY or
_MAY-NOT_ match to a single device.  The question point is:

a) Does the GK return the first match?
b) If not, what happens on an exhaustive search that returns different
transport addresses?

In either case the GK can only return one address in the ACF. In either
case the EP cannot tell what happend from a protocol point of view.  There
may be a _big_ difference from a service point of view however.

It should definitely be a policy/configuration widget on the GK.  The
question in my mind is should the EP explicitly request one behavior or the
other? (similar to the GK-routing flag)

jimt.
+1-503-264-8816(voice)              Intel - Hillsboro, OR
 mailto:jim.toga at intel.com         mailto:james.toga at ties.itu.int
 PGP keyID 36 07 86 49 7D 74 DF 57  50 CB BA 32 08 9C 7C 41