Multiple aliases in ARQ destinationInfo

Santo Wiryaman swiryaman at VIDEOSERVER.COM
Thu Jan 21 17:05:20 EST 1999

Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject.  The original reason for
having multiple aliases may have been forgotten by many (more on this).
Personally, my preference is for #1. Keep it simple.  The reason is that an
ACF from a GK does not necessarily mean that the endpoint is registered with
the GK.  In other words, when a GK receives an ARQ and does not find the
alias registered, it has to look somewhere else: other GK's (using LRQ),
some GK's lookup in ILS servers, DNS, etc..

When the ARQ has an ordered list of aliases, what should the GK do?  What if
alias #1 is found in a different zone2, alias #2 is found in zone3, and
alias #3 is registered locally in zone1?  Which IP address should the GK
return in the ACF?  Further more, the LRQ process (and other address lookup
procedures) are asynchronous.  The LCF for alias #2 might come back before
the LCF from alias #1.  Having the LCF for alias #2, does the GK have to
wait around for the LCF of alias #1 (which may never arrive).

In practice, could you tell us an example of a widely deployed communication
system where you can "dial" multiple destinations (e.g. home phone, work
phone, cell phone, fax number, emailID) at once and "it" will get you the
most suitable destination?  I can imagine a smart phonebook/dialer which
would take the addresses and "dial" one number at a time until it gets
connected.  But the smarts is in the application, not in the "switch" (in
our case the GK).

I think having multiple types of aliases (e164, h323-ID, url-ID,
transportID, email-ID, partyNumber(publicNumber,
privateNumber,nationalStandardPartyNumber) ) is confusing enough.  Placing
multiple aliases in an ARQ would further complicate matters.

If I am not mistaken, the original reason for defining destinationInfo in
ARQ as a sequence of aliases is to convey two (or more) phonenumbers to use
for a single call.  For example, to make an H.323 to an H.320 call via an
ISDN GW using 2B lines, there can be two aliases: "918005551212" and
"918005551213".  Therefore, all aliases in the field are used for the same
call; it is not a list of alternative aliases in prefered order.

As a side note, some H.323 systems (e.g. an MCU, a GK-routed GK) look into
the destinationAddress field in the SETUP message to see where to further
route the call.  Presumably, if there is a list of aliases in the ARQ, there
would also be a list of aliases in the SETUP.  How should these systems
interpret the list of aliases?  Currently, GW's interpret the multiple
aliases as the phone numbers to dial out to the ISDN network (to be more
precise, the first number is usually in the CalledPartyNumber and the second
in the destExtraCallInfo, but that's a different story).

It would be interesting to hear opinions from other implementors.

Regards,

Santo wiryaman
VideoServer Inc.