Ambiguity in H.225.0 Appendix D

Kishore Babu Ramisetty kish at TRILLIUM.COM
Wed Jan 13 13:55:32 EST 1999

Hi,

This is wrt the second problem in the attached mail.
Chris Purvis mentioned that GK needs to know whether
a GRQ or LRQ is received via multicast or unicast so that
the response could be different.

Actually, H.323 V2 specifies different multicast and unicast
mentions that even in multicast case a response shall be
given (Section 7.2.1 para three which _only_ talks about
multicast GRQs).

I believe spec should not mandate a GK to respond to
a multicast GRQ. It should be left to the implementor whether
a response should be sent out to a multicast GRQ or not.
The GK may have some additional information like redirecting
the endpoint to a different GK with altGKInfo etc, otherwise it
is just plain waste of bandwidth to mandate GK's to respond to
multicast GRQ's. The endpoints would time out if they
haven't received a single GCF.

May be the following line in para 3 of section 7.2.1:

"If a Gatekeeper does not want the endpoint to register to it,
it shall return Gatekeeper Reject (GRJ)"

should be changed to something like:

"On receiving a multicasted GRQ, if a Gatekeeper does not want
the endpoint to register to it, it MAY return Gatekeeper
Reject (GRJ)"

Comments?

Regards,
-Kishore.