Relationship of H.323 and H.245 versions

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Jan 14 09:59:27 EST 1999

Gary,

As H.323 editor can you comment on which of the following statements is
more correct:

a) H.323 version 2 can be used with H.245 version 3 ONLY
b) H.323 version 2 can be used with H.245 version 3 OR LATER.

My view is that it is undesirable to have to up-issue H.323 to a new
version if all you want to do is make use of new features in H.245.
Also, as part of third party re-routing, in the future it may occur that
an H.323 version 3 endpoint originally connected to another H.323
version 3 endpoint will end up being connected to the H.245 from an
H.323 version 2 endpoint.  Hence assuming that the H.323 and H.245
versions are locked together does not work.  However, I'm not sure if
this aligns with the groups understanding.  Do you have any comments?

Regards,

Pete

Pete Cordell
BT Labs