Relationship of H.323 and H.245 versions

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Feb 15 06:49:13 EST 1999

Chris, Ami,

I don't think that your (Chris's) solution 1 is any worse that adapting
to any remote H.245 version.  Perhaps we can say that for H.323 V2, the
fast start structures shall conform to H.245 V4(?), but if its over an
H.245 channel then H.245 version negotiation is via TCS.  Alternatively,
H.245 fast start version information could go into the H.225 SETUP/CALL
PROCEEDING/ALERTING/CONNECT messages.  I feel this is better than adding
this information to the OLCs.

We also need to work through whether things will work out when we have
an H.323 version 3 endpoint with, say, H.245 version 6 fast start
structures talking to an H.323 version 2 endpoint.  My off the top of my
head analysis suggests it does work out, but perhaps somebody that it
more intimately familiar with it could also check (and explain).

Regards,

Pete
=================================
Pete Cordell
BT Labs
E-Mail: pete.cordell at bt-sys.bt.co.uk
Tel: +44 1473 646436
Fax: +44 1473 645499
>Sent:  12 February 1999 11:17
>To:    ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
>Subject:       Re: Relationship of H.323 and H.245 versions

Ami,

So in order to Make Things Work we probably need to do one of the
following:

1.  Bind tightly for messages in fast connect, but loosely otherwise
(which
may lead to implementations having to use different ASN for
encoding/decoding OLCs depending on whether or not they came in via fast
connect!).

2.  Add versioning information to OLCs (and possibly elsewhere while
we're
at it).

3.  Bind versions tightly, as currently specified.

4(the controversial one).  Obselete fastStart

Regards,
Chris