AW: Comments to draft H.450.8

Klaghofer Karl ICN IB NL IP 7 Karl.Klaghofer at VS.SIEMENS.DE
Wed Feb 10 14:20:15 EST 1999

Hong-Linh,

H.450.8 is not a new conference. The draft clearly points out that existing
H.245 conference mechanisms are used, once the central conference is in
place (see e.g. clause 1 of the draft).

H.450 only provides an improved procedure for replacing the existing calls
of a consultation scenario (i.e. a held call and a consulted call) by new
calls so that we end up with point to points calls between an MCU and the
involved endpoints (see FIGURE 2/H.450.8).

The deficiencies of using the FACILITY re-route to MC method (compared to
H.450.8 proposal) for doing such a call replacement we have pointed out
already in clause 8.3.3 of APC-1505.   Some could life with such
deficiencies (as you indicated) other may not. We have even included
interaction (fallback) procedures for the case where the MCU does not yet
support H.450.8.

The current "conference invite" method you are referring to for usage in
conference out of consultation requires multiple SETUP messages at SS-CoC
invocation to be sent from the served endpoint to the MCU for each remote
endpoint the served user wants to invite. With the H.450.8 proposal only one
call is established to the MCU/CUSE. The operation included in the SETUP
contains all information the MCU needs to complete the feature. So, H.450.8
is an improvement also in this respect.

You could start modifying H.225.0 to get similar improvements. This requires
a new H.225 version in the involved endpoints.
To use H.450 for new functionality or for an improved functionality has the
advantage that the endpoints can provide this functionality independent of
the version of their base protocols !

Regards,
Karl
Karl Klaghofer, Siemens AG, Dpmt. ICN IB NL IP7
Hofmannstr. 51, D-81359 Munich, Germany
Tel.: +49 89 722 31488, Fax.: +49 89 722 37629
e-mail: karl.klaghofer at vs.siemens.de