TPKT in H.225.0

Drage, Keith Keith.Drage at SIEMENSCOMMS.CO.UK
Mon Feb 8 12:04:55 EST 1999

ITU-T is not "reluctant" to create the references to external
organisations. It has made a set of rules for such references, and has
then failed so far to get them to work.

The rules are contained in Recommendation A.5 published in 1998.

ITU-T SG9 recently tried to use these rules, and fell foul of the very
precise nature of these rules.

The recent ITU-T SG chairmen's meeting discussed this, and I believe
identified that the rules were not meant to be this restrictive, and not
meant to be applied on a per recommendation / reference basis, i.e. once
IETF had been identified as a suitable organisation fulfilling all the
rules, it did not repeatedly need to prove its suitability.

I understand SG9 will be attempting more Recommendation references to
external organisations in the near future, and in ITU-T SG11, we will
also be attempting to do this.

Keith Drage
Siemens Communication Systems Limited
Nottingham UK