Reps and interrupted dinners

hlt at zurich.ibm.com hlt at zurich.ibm.com
Wed Feb 3 11:36:13 EST 1999

I'm now forwarding the emails relating to that thread to your ITU account.
Is that OK for you or do you prefer your Databeam one?
Linh
---------------------- Forwarded by Hong Linh Truong/Zurich/IBM on 03.02.99
17:34 ---------------------------

Chris Purvis <CPurvis at Madge.com> on 03.02.99 16:49:50

To:   Hong Linh Truong/Zurich/IBM, Klaghofer Karl ICN IB NL IP 7
      <Karl.Klaghofer at vs.siemens.de>, Korpi Markku USA
      <markku.korpi at icn.siemens.com>, "'wiryaman santo (VideoServer)'"
      <swiryaman at VideoServer.com>, "'Kumar Vineet (Intel)'"
      <vineet.kumar at intel.com>, "'Freundlich Glen'" <ggf at lucent.com>,
      "'Walker Dave (Mitel)'" <dave_walker at mitel.com>, "'Ruditsky Sasha
      (RadVision)'" <sasha at radvision.rad.co.il>
cc:

Subject:  Reps and interrupted dinners

Santo, Linh et al,

Sorry for the subject line change, but this is a bit of a side-track
(however interesting) from the main stream discussion...

My feeling is that I would wish to be able to set up policy for my endpoint
that to make it ignore these messages (or at least ask me very nicely) if
they were about to involve me in spending large amounts of money.  The
routeCallToMC FACILITY message is for the express purpose of telling me
that
the endpoint I've tried to call is already in a conference, and how to join
it.  Possible ways that I can see of adding extra endpoints to an extant
call in Santo's scenario are:
1. Use Linh's method, and allow the man with the interrupted dinner to put
the phone down and then ring it again.
2. Something like Karl's H.450.8-proposal that allows us to "replace" one
call with another.  This would need to be combined with Linh's comments in
order to avoid 1.
3. Give the "rep" in that scenario an endpoint containing an MC, or a
clever
enough gatekeeper (one containing, or "with access to" an MC) that any
calls
can be made at the rep's expense.  In this scenario any call control
signalling (H.225 and H.245) to the interrupted-dinner-person are routed
via
the rep's GK, and these stay open when the GK pulls in the MC.

Of these, 1. is inconvenient to the user, 2. requires some standardisation
work, and 3. requires the annoying rep to spend money.  Any preferences?

Regards,
Chris