H.323 Mobility: MTD-03 update

Edgar Martinez [1] martinze at CIG.MOT.COM
Mon Dec 27 12:07:21 EST 1999

I am searching my dim T.120 memory (it's been a while) as well as
some of the documents and here's my recollection:

In essence, you do not need the TSAP-ID parameters at all and can
leave them empty (they are optional as far as I remember X.224/0).
The TSAP-IDs constitute a way for addressing tranport layer entities
and thus for multiplexing transport connections in the OSI model
(similar to TCP port numbers).  However, if you are using T.120,
there is typically no such additional muxing required: either
you use X.224/0/TPKT/TCP/IP in which cse you will make use of the
well-defined T.120 port (1503, for stand-along applications) or you
will negotiate a port number for data conferencing using e.g. H.245
OpenLogicalChannel procedures; in neither case you need an additional
muxing point, so you can leave the TSAP-IDs empty.  If don't have an
IP-based network, you are likely to be running T.120 in the context
of another H.32x system where, again, use may use H.242 or H.245 for
assigning logical channels for T.120 data so that you do not need an
additional muxing layer and can leave the TSAP-IDs empty.  If you
run a stand-alone T.120 system, the T.120 standards assume that you
do not have other OSI applications running in parallel (which seems
pretty likely :-) so that you don't need TSAP-IDs in this case, too.

Leaving TSAP-IDs empty is allowed according to X.224 (11/93) para 6.5.4 (b)
and encouraged following T.123 section 6 (second to last paragraph or so).

Hope this helps,
Joerg