Comments on MTD-107a (H.323 Mobility)

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Fri Dec 24 15:46:15 EST 1999

Hi, SG16 Members:

I like to appeal to you all that we have only two conference calls left for
the H.323 Ad Hoc Mobility group. The time is very precious to advance our
work. The editor of H.323 Annex H needs to produce a meaning document so
that the Q.13 Rapporteur can take this as a contribution to the SG16 meeting
for determination in the upcoming Feb'00 SG16 meeting. Since a Rapporteur is
from the US, the document needs to be submitted to US State Department on
January 21st in the SG-D meeting.

How can we expedite our progress? I have some thoughts that may allow us to
make a quick progress. We like to use two media for communications: 1. SG16
email reflector and 2. Ad Hoc Mobility Group Conference call.

How do we divide our works in these two media of communications? I propose
that some items can better be addressed via emails.

For example, we spent a lot of time in the last conference call whether we
should take one document. If we do, how the document will be handled by the
editor and/or Rapporteur. This sort of discussions can easily be addressed
via the email. Moreover, we have done this in many cases. For example,
H.225.0 Annex G, H.248, and many other meetings. An editor or Rapporteur
knows how to deal with this situation. A editor will produce a document
based on consensus made in the meetings on behalf of the Rapporteur, and a
Rapporteur will decide whether the document can be taken as Rapporteur's
contribution in the SG meeting. Of course, the document will contain two
parts:

1. The part that has been agreed before the conference call and
2. The other will include as follows:
        A. What has been accepted to MODIFY from the original agreed
version, if any and
        B. What has been added as NEW to the proposed documents.

If necessary, the editor may also contact the Rapporteur to have
clarifications further.

In another example, suppose we have a document agreed upon in the last Red
Bank SG16 meeting. Someone wants to have some comments to modify that
document that is primarily from the editorial point of view. This work can
be done via email as well. In this context, I will refer to Alcatel's
contribution - MTD 107b. It wants some modifications and additions of the
editor's document. We can handle this contribution via email as well (I also
plan to send my comments via so that we do not need to spend time to address
this during the conference call).

The next question is: What do we want to discuss during the conference call?

A simple answer is to address new areas that advance our understanding to
provide solution related to the H.323 mobility. For example, one of the
Nokia's contribution addresses the reference architecture of H.323 including
mobility. This has been a new area towards solutions and, we have made
progress in this area as well.

My appeal to all members of the SG16 members is: Let us address
contributions that advances the solution of the H.323 mobility problems in
the upcoming conference calls.

I have provided a contribution showing that there are three phases in this
area: 1. Extension of H.323 for supporting mobility, 2. H.323 backend
services related to mobility, and 3. Interworking between H.323 system
(mobile/non-mobile) and Non-H.323 system (mobile/Non-mobile).

Let us move on!

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy, AT&T
H.323 Ad Hoc Mobility Group