H.323 Mobility Works: SG16 Reflector vs. Conf Call

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Fri Dec 24 13:50:21 EST 1999

Hi, Chris:

I may have misunderstood your questions. I have provided the reply assuming
that it is related to the H.323 terminal, user, and service mobility. It is
related to H.323 Annex H that deals with mobility in the H.323 layer.

I think that your questions have been related to Annex I where the lower
layers (below H.323 layer) are taken care of when mobile users move from
place to place. If it is so, my reply does NOT answer your questions. If it
is so, I am extremely sorry.

With respect to Annex I, I have to refer to my original clarifications what
needs to be done in the context of H.323 Annex I. I mailed my notes to the
SG16 reflector sometime ago. Email discussions were held and more actions
will follow on this item.

In the light of Annex I, I do not have clear answer for your questions. We
have not yet finalized what it will look like. I made some suggestions
earlier. We like to get your inputs how we can shape H.323 Annex I. So far,
Annex I have mentioned what needs to be done to improve the performance of
the radio link layer. We need to go further how the H.323 mobility solution
can be implemented over the lower layer including the IP layer. The IP layer
may contain mobile IP, cellular IP, and/or any other services. My personal
wish is that we would move to this area when finish the extension of H.323
for mobility. For example, I'd like to addess how H.323 mobile protocol can
be used to satisfy the needs of the INM-2000/3GPP's wireless architecture in
the context of the mobile H.323 terminal (MT), base station (BS), base
station switching center (BSC), mobile switching center (MSC), and IP
network. I believe that BSC can dela with link/MAC multiplexing layer while
MSC will be an IP router with the knowledge of the IP layer. Wireless cells
will be between the MT and BS. Now it depends where one puts the GK (and
defines zones/domains) and how it communicates with the H.323 MT. It will
then automatically bring all related issues: IP addresses, domains, and
others. I am also thinking whether we will make this as a part of H.323
Annex I or not.

I am fully confident that our H.323 mobility architecture (please also see
AT&T's and Motorola's contributions) will be cosistent to complement the
architecture defined by IMT-2000/3GPP.

Now I may come to your questions: How do we related the zone (or GK) in the
context of the lower layer? Is that relate to the IP addresses or IP domains
only as you have mentioned? I will assume that the lower layer may contain
the cell (pico, micro, macro) and/or wireless LANs (with or without cell
concept) in wireless environments. In wire-line networks, the zone may
consist of the usual network layer as H.323 system envisions. So, a zone may
contain both wire-line and wireless networks as well.

I guess that we are not in a position to answer your questions yet. Is it
possible to suggest some framework how we can drive the work in H.323 Annex
I if you do not find answers of your questions provided above?

Best regards,
Radhika