Release 2000 Architecture Adhoc meeting

Edgar Martinez [1] martinze at CIG.MOT.COM
Mon Aug 30 23:10:14 EDT 1999

Comments on the questions from Gur, on the need for an RTP transport of
text.
----
The first application of the proposed RTP format is H.323 Annex G Text.
There, it is possible to select TCP or RTP for the transport, with a
preference for TCP.

RTP is added mainly for the cases when it is not feasible to use TCP. One
good example is in the loosely coupled conference situation (H.332 extended
to support text ). I am quite sure that in the close future there will
appear other situations where TCP is not feasible (mobile?).

I do not expect there to be any strict requirement on lip sync between video
and text presentation. A delay of .5 seconds is easily accepted. So, in that
sense, both transports can do.

I agree that character loss is unwanted.
With the indicated procedure to mark lost characters with a special
character ("Lightning"), I expect that the acceptance of character loss
increases over the case of loss without a sign. I expect an acceptable loss
rate during a text conversation session to be 1 or 2% if loss is marked.

As a summary, I still think there is a need for an rtp-based transport of
text.   Agree?

Specification of tcp or rtp in H.323 Annex G - Text
I am now reviewing H.323 Annex G Text, that is to be submitted as a white
document soon. I see that the description of selection of reliable or
unreliable transport is a bit vague.
I now plan to specify usage of the new DataProtocolCapability parameters tcp
and udp as values in DataApplicationCapability.application=t140. With the
interpretation of udp to be rtp-text.

Do you find this acceptable? It is clear and easily interpreted, but it
dictates use of IP as the network protocol. Will that limit the application?

Regards
Gunnar
Gunnar Hellström
LM Ericsson