is cross-posting really necessary?

Callaghan, Robert Robert.Callaghan at ICN.SIEMENS.COM
Tue Aug 10 13:33:36 EDT 1999

Nancy,

I thank Christian for advising the SG16 mailing list as to the MEGACO
activities.  I don't monitor the MEGACO list because I simply do not have
time for all the detailed work.  However, I do believe that SG16 people
should be kept informed as to the general activities that are performed in
the name of SG16.

Abrogating the coding agreement from Berlin because it is inconvenient
should not be keep hidden from the SG16 group.  The AD/Chair may determine
consensus for IETF, but not for ITU.  In ITU, consensus is determined by the
Rapporteur, and that is not Tom Taylor.

The agreed proposal for dual coding standards was an attempt to finesse the
unresovable disagreement over the coding standards.  Abrogating this
agreement may only extend the discussion.  This can only impede a JOINT
standard.

Bob

Robert Callaghan
Siemens Business Communication Systems
Tel: +1.561.997.3756    Fax: +1.561.997.3403
Email:  Robert.Callaghan at ICN.Siemens.com