From H.245 tunneling to separate connection?

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Tue Aug 17 09:13:03 EDT 1999

More realistically:
Call transfer scenarios can happen where "transfer" functionality is provided
by a routing gatekeeper, meaning that the transferred endpoint A (the one
involved in both a pre-transfer call to B and a post-transfer call to C) does
not notice any change in terms of a new call coming up (this is permitted by
H.450.2 in circumstances where A does not speak H.450).  It will however see
(and take part in) fresh H.245 negotiations.
Now suppose A and B both support tunnelling and C doesn't, so the initial call
from A to be used tunnelling.  Post-transfer, either the call needs to switch
over to non-tunnelled H.245, or the gatekeeper gains a whole load of extra work
it really didn't want.

Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road