[Fwd: Re: Transport layer interface]

Christian Groves Christian.Groves at ERICSSON.COM
Fri Aug 20 02:35:28 EDT 1999

Hello,

For those interested there are some discussions on the IETF Megaco list
about removing/modifying the sections added in Berlin in H.248 on non-IP
signalling transport. My response is below.

Cheers, Christian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Transport layer interface
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:36:13 +1000
From: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves at ERICSSON.COM>
To: MEGACO at STANDARDS.NORTELNETWORKS.COM

G'Day all,

Seeing my name was mentioned several times I guess I better speak up on
this issue. There were a number of points:

1. A contribution was made to be able to use H.248 across non-IP
transport technologies
2. The rational is that if you have a gateway with ATM, AAL2 etc you may
not want an IP signalling transpport.
3. The layered approach was introduced as a way of doing this.
4. I recognise that IP is the current and primary means of deploying
H.248 I wanted to document H.248 a way that allows continued developed
of the protocol without having to delay it whilst adding seperate
transport technologies.
5. We wanted the H.248/Megaco specification NOT to be tied to an IP
transport technology that is why we proposed the changes to the document
structure to allow the actual protocol (procedures & symantics) to be
separated from the transport issues.
6. ALF is tied to IP and is not suitable to other transport technologies
this I think is reflected in the specification
7. I think it was agreed in the Berlin meeting (the italics section) of
the document that ALF and TCP transport sections should be re-written to
make them sound like a protocol document rather than a educational peice
of writing. We suggested some headings.
8. We made no attempt to change the technical parts of the ALF and TCP
sections the changes we proposed were to aid clarity.
9. I was not at the Oslo meeting however I understand that there was
still discussion of the transport issues after this meeting as the
outcome was not clear.
10. If we don't do this then another device control protocol will be
defined for ATM based MGs and we'll end up with the situation where we
have 2 procedurally and symantically different media gateway control
protocols. This will cost. Its better to have to have the same protocol.

Therefore I feel strongly that the sections regarding non-IP transport
should remain.
Hopefully I've captured most of the points from this thread.

Cheers, Christian