Firewalls [was: H.320 gateways a MEGACO / ITU]

Melinda Shore shore at ITHACA-VIENNASYS.COM
Tue Apr 6 09:52:37 EDT 1999

There's an awful lot of overlap between HFCI and SOCKS.  Additionally,
HFCI is still rather incomplete yet has some enormously useful stuff
in it, so I'm hopeful that w'll be able to resolve these two over
the next 3-6 months within the IETF or elsewhere.

Melinda

At 12:09 PM 4/6/99 +0100, Iain Barker wrote:
>One solution would be not to expect the firewall to 'find'
>which ports to open, but instead for the gateway to inform
>the firewall of the nature of the underlying connection.
>
>FYI, SIEMENS have a submission to TIPHON which disusses how a
>media gateway [H.323 in their example] can instruct the firewall
>which IP ports to allow through.

Melinda Shore
Member of the Scientific Staff
Nokia IP Telephony