H.320 to H.323 Gateways: Will They Decompose?

Ami Amir amir at RADVISION.RAD.CO.IL
Sat Apr 10 06:54:17 EDT 1999

Tom,

Without going into specific product plans, it is clear that for deployments
that want to support both voice AND H.320 - deployment of "video only"
gateways does not make any sense, and the same gateway needs to support
both functions.

So, if voice will opt for decomposition, it should find a way to
accommodate the video/data side. BTW - H.324 "died" because there was no
real application/network that supported it well. It seems to me that in the
new networks (e.g. ADSL or Cable or wireless local loop) it might still be
useful. Should we support it in Megacop?

Ami

-----Original Message-----
From:   Tom-PT Taylor [SMTP:taylor at nortelnetworks.com]
Sent:   Friday, April 09, 1999 9:57 PM
To:     ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
Subject:        H.320 to H.323 Gateways: Will They Decompose?

This is addressed to the experts of Study Group 16, but has impact on the
priorities of work both for Megaco and for H.GCP.  The question, which I
raised obliquely in a previous exchange on co-location of H.245 signalling
with the Media Gateway function, is whether any vendor will actually create
a decomposed H.320-to-H.323 Gateway.  If not, we can stop worrying about
how
to accommodate H.320 in the Media Gateway control protocol.

Tom Taylor
E-mail: taylor at nortelnetworks.com  (internally Tom-PT Taylor)
Tel.: +1 613 736 0961     (ESN 396-1490)
FAX: same number by prior arrangement (manual answer).