Event reporting (was audio call Thursday: Minutes)

Brian Rosen brosen at ENG.FORE.COM
Fri Apr 9 08:18:46 EDT 1999

As the protocol is currently defined, there is
thus thing we called a RequestID.  You supply
a RequestID with the EventDescriptor, and it is
returned by the Notify.  A RequestID is a 32 bit
integer.  The syntax defines the requestID, and
uses it in the Notify, but does not show it in
the EventDescriptor.  That should be fixed, but...

As I noted, TerminationID + EventName is logically
equivalent to an MGC assigned RequestID if you
can only have one instance of an event on a
termination.  Implementation seems to be simple
in either case at both ends.  At the MG, storing
the requestID is easy, but not storing is easier.
At the MGC, the RequestID would be a separate table,
but it would have to have TerminationID and
EventName at least implicitly, and probably
explicitly in it.  Searching a structure by
TerminationID and then EventName (or the other way
around) is also easy.Thinking about it overnight, if it
really is the same, then it would be best to
eliminate the RequestID artifice and use Termination
ID + EventName.

At the time, I believed we thought that there were
circumstances where there was not uniqueness.  Right
now, I can't see how that can occur.

Brian