PER ASN Encode of Open type elements

Douglas Clowes dclowes at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Wed Apr 7 19:33:02 EDT 1999

1) Assuming that the likely range of values extends beyond 255 and is
uniformly distributed, it is more likely that the length to encode is
greater than 127 any way.

2) If you start with the assumption that the len will be greater than 127,
reserve two bytes for the len, and it turns out to be less, the cost of
moving the "less than 127" bytes down a byte is not likely to be very high.

The "obvious" solution would be to encode the type into the buffer after
two reserved bytes and if you don't get enough, move a few down.

Douglas