ASN.1 vs Text

Mike Buckley mikebuckley at ATTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 20:54:03 EST 1999

What is important here is to follow the H.245OLC syntax, the codeing used I
suspect  is secondary.

Mike B.

____________________ Begin Original Message
___________________________
Date: Wed Mar 31 21:16:57 -0600 1999
From: internet!NORTELNETWORKS.COM!taylor (Tom-PT Taylor)
Subject: ASN.1 vs Text
To: internet!MAILBAG.INTEL.COM!ITU-SG16

Since the other responses seem to have gone off into a discussion of
firewalls, let me respond to this more directly by recalling a bit of past
discussion.

1) On the Megaco list, we finally agreed that the text vs. binary question
is something to be resolved by experiment.

2) In Turin (I think), the general opinion was that the protocol would have
to be binary to achieve the required performance.  Interestingly enough,
however, no one that I recall felt that it should be PER ASN.1 (or even, I
think, BER ASN.1).  Good reasons were given at the time.  It would be good
if someone can remember them, but I think it has something to do with
processing performance and less risk of fragmentation than call signalling.

3) We have had an occasionally recurring suggestion on the Megaco list that
the Media Gateway control protocol should conform to the format of other
messaging out of the MGC, for the reason you give (i.e. to minimize
transcoding).  Interestingly, the person advocating this was talking about
billing data, not signalling.  The counter-argument on the list is that the
Media Gateway control protocol must work with different signalling protocols
(for example in H.GCP's case, with any of the H-series systems), so there is
no point in optimizing it for just one.

The real sticking point of debate is going to be whether the media
description structures will be those defined for H.245 OLC etc., or SDP.
Text vs. binary is a closely related but broader debate.

I'd suggest we start thinking about experimental design.