Locating users

William Pimentel w-piment at UNIANDES.EDU.CO
Tue Sep 8 13:54:55 EDT 1998

Chris:

I am glad that you have asked for some clarifications.

The whole point is that we are considering GK-to-GK communications in
multiple GK environment. Let there be any number of GKs to participate for
GK-to-GK communications depending on specific configurations. It can be as
simple as single GK (single zone) or multiple GKs consisting of multiple
zones and multiple (administrative)-domains.

Before going to details, I guess that most of the questions that you have
asked have been clarified by me on September 1, 1998, in response to Douglas
Clowes' questions.

AT&T's contribution is considering the RAS signaling messages only (NOT call
setup, media negotiation, or data packets). In response to Mr. Clowes'
questions (please see the details in the email sent on Sept 1), it has been
explained that, in H.323, a GK's  knowledge is limited to zone-level only
(no "notion" of network-level path as in the case of IP, ATM, FR, or other
networks). The proposal does not mandate what path will be followed by the
call setup, media negotiation, or data packets associated with the call.

Yes, AT&T's contribution, like other proposals, also separates between the
RAS signaling stage and the call signaling stage. So, the call signaling is
free to take any path as appropriate.

In addition to AT&T's contribution, Nokia's APC 1382 (S. Sengodan, Nokia,
"On the Use of Multicast Scope for Gatekeeper Discovery," APC 1382,
Q.11-14/16 Rapporteur Meeting, Cannes, France, June 8-11, 1998) will also
explain why additional fields are needed in signaling messages. The extra
fields are primarily needed to facilitate routing of the messages between
the GKs in multiple GK environment.

I like to point out that a service provider, in general,  can create a
variety of back-end services through intercepting signaling messages from
the appropriate entities (e.g., GKs) situated in the optimal locations as
needed if the signaling messages are allowed to pass through those entities.

I hope that the above explanations will clarify the things.

Regards,
Radhika