Annex G

Chris Purvis WVdevmt-WS cpurvis at MADGE.COM
Mon Sep 7 12:29:43 EDT 1998

Radhika,

In my view there is a fundamental difference between the scheme that you
are proposing and the other contributions on inter-administrative-domain
communication:

Your proposal continues to expect all RAS, call setup, media negotiation
and, (for all I know - it's not clear to me in your proposal), data packets
associated with a call to follow a path through intermediate entities that
are on the path that address resolution messages happened to take.

All the other proposals I have seen preserve a separation between the
resolution phase (where messages may indeed need to be sent to a number
of different places), and the call signalling stage which follows a more
direct route between endpoints.

Your proposal requires the addition of extra fields to almost all RAS
messages, and will generate a significant amount of extra call signalling
traffic on the global network.

I still fail to understand what the technical (or business) advantages of
this extra propogation of messages are.  My impression was that the vast
majority of the people on last Friday's conference call share my scepticism.

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis - Senior Development Engineer, WAVE CC Software
Madge Networks Ltd, Wexham Springs, Framewood Road, Wexham, Berks.
Phone:+44 1753 661359  email: cpurvis at madge.com