H.323 Addresses

Roy, Radhika R, ALTEC rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Sep 1 13:38:14 EDT 1998

Hi Everyone:

We are discussing about H.323 addresing schemes in our bi-weekly H.323
inter-GK conf calls.

The H.323 addresses that are being considered are 1. E.164, 2. E-mail,  3.
URL, and 4. TCP/UDP/RTP port addresses (and 5. aliases as well I guess).

Although a hierarchical notion of addressing scehmes have been discussed, we
have also recognized that some other variations of addressing schemes are
there.

For example, people change their physical locations, but they might have to
keep the same E.164 addresses. So, a translation is needed. Therefore, the
very physical relationship of E.164 addressing scheme (e.g., knowing NPAs
and NXXs, one can find the distance) has been broken.

Another example can be 800 numbers where the translation is also needed.

In addition, from mobility point of view (device or person) wired (and
wireless?) environement may also be looked into.

As we go froward, we may consider many of those aspects as pointed above to
provide solutions for the H.323 addressing schemes.

Regards,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
732 949 8657