ARQ/ACF

Roy, Radhika R, ALTEC rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Sep 1 12:28:03 EDT 1998

Douglas:

I really appreciate your email to help me to clarify the things that will
definitely improve our in-depth understandings related to H.323.

I have answered each item below step by step. If you have any more
questions, please let me know.

Again, I heartfelt thanks to you for providing me an opportunity to explain
the things to the worldwide ITU-T SG 16 audiences.

Regards,
Radhika

> [...]
> has become so popular that IETF, ATM-F, and other are implementing H.323
> over specific technologies. I would say that this is one of the most
> important standards of our time ever created by the ITU-T. However, if
> there are some standards that are developed for some specific technologies
> for implementations of H.323 including BW/QOS, we may use those
> specificaions as well.]
>
> In a shared network environment, the best that BW management can aspire
> to, is to limit the network utilisation by H.323 traffic. Other traffic,
> not under control of the GK, will have a potentially significant impact on
> QoS.
>
> [Radhika: Form H.323 point of view, a GK does controls and manages
> resources of a zone, and communications occur at H.323 level. If there are
> multiple zones, each GK in each zone will have the responsibility to
> control and manage resources. That is, H.323 does not specifies the
> situation if the resources are not under GK control. As I mentioned
> before, it is also perfectly OK, (I guess that I am right), not to use any
> services that are offered by GKs if one thinks that one has all the
> answers what H.323 GKs provide. In AT&T proposal, an extension has been
> proposed for inter-zone communications via GKs considering multiple
> zones.]
>
> It is possible, in some cases, that the GK controls all of the traffic in
> a particular network. But, in the general case, resource issues, and QoS
> issues, will have to be resolved at the network level. Mechanisms like
> RSVP, dedicated bandwidth, private lines are appropriate to this network
> level functionality. Any abstraction at the application level still has to
> be implemented at the network level.
>
> [Radhika: It depends. Please see earlier write-up very carefully. I have
> also used an example of MCU. For example, the upper layer (above network
> level) reources of an MCU do not fall into the category of "network level"
> functionality. The resources of a zone means all the resources that
> include both "network" and "upper" layer. At H.323 level, we create
> "abstrations", and we do not address for any specific implementations. (I
> personally has worked in this area for a long time. I have devloped some
> schemes how to implement those things from higher layer to the lower
> layer, and these schemes are implementation specifics. In standard arena,
> it may create debates whether those schemes are optimal or the most
> efficient.) Definitely, many (if not all of them) of the application
> abstractions have to be translated into the network level. This is the
> real challenege. For example, there is no one-to-one mapping betwen the
> application level BW/QOS parameters to the network level BW/QOS
> parameters. I had talks with many people in the standards arena wheher
> they worked on those issues. They indicated that they were yet to work in

        Radhika: Some hypothetical implementation examples might be helpful.
The extreme case would have ben "not to use any resource control" (similar
to one unspecified bit rate [UBR] as it is used in the public Internet). In
this case, for example, all GKs of all zones will just confirm as soon as
the ARQ message for each call since no conrol is needed. A little conrol may
specifiy accept N number of calls per zone if the total bandwidth does not
exceed certain upper limit. Or, there may be more shophisticated
implementations at the H.323 call level that uses the help of GKs via
inter-zone communications between the H.323 source-destination entities.

        Radhika: Many network level BW/QOS schemes have been developed. ATM
network is the prime exapmle. We can also think RSVP in the context of
IP-based router network. As I mentioned before, RSVP does not provide any
support for controling BW/QOS over the LAN. That is, in LAN-IP (wide area
network)-LAN configuration, RSVP can only provide support in the IP (wide
area network) part only. In other words, even at the "end-to-end network
level", RSVP does not help.

        Radhika: Considering the above situation, let us think about an
end-to-end H.323 call between the H.323 source-destination entities. This
includes both "network" and "upper" layer. We are considering that a GK will
have the "abstractions" BW/QOS that that will be translated in all layers as
appropriate. At H.323 level, we do not expect to have specific answers for
specific implementations for all lower layers. We are just creating
"abstraction" for now.]