I invite you to an important session on Voice over IP

Nancy-M Greene Nancy-M.Greene.ngreene at NT.COM
Thu Oct 15 08:38:08 EDT 1998

I would not say that SGCP and IPDC are at all replacing H.323. These
protocols are used between a Media Gateway Controller  (MC) and a Media
Gateway (MG), as device control protocols. An MG is used for telephony to
packet conversion, from, for example, PSTN to IP. Interworking with H.323
would occur in the MC and/or the MG.

>From what I understand, there is a new work item for developing a device
control protocol within SG16. I hope that SGCP and IPDC, and the imminent
merging of the two, will be considered as a basis for this protocol. There
will be a device control WG set up shortly in the IETF, as well as a mailing
list for this subject. I will forward this and the proposed charter for the
WG to this mailing list as soon as I receive it.

Nancy

Friday, October 8/98, Dave Walker wrote:

> Dear Mme Lapierre,
>
> I find it a little confusing that your email says that standards
> makers will present what the signalling of VoIP will look like,
> and that your agenda refers to the session as an H.323/IP workshop,
> yet none of the scheduled talks seem to talk about H.323.  Rather
> there seems to be a focus on the gateway control protocols (SGCP
> and IPDC) which as you know, are being pushed by some parties as
> replacements for H.323.  Can you clear up my confusion?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Walker
> Mitel Corporation
> Ontario, CANADA
>
> Martine.Lapierre at alcatel.fr wrote:
> >
> >      Good evening,
> >
> >      please find attached an invitation to a workshop on VoIP where key
> >      VoIP experts will be present.
> >      Standards makers will present what the signalling of VoIP will look
> >      like, and its impact on the network architecture.
> >      IP / VoIP manufacturers will be there.
> >      Operators will be discussing how and when they see VoIP in their
> >      networks.
> >      I will be happy to chair this session.
> >
> >      The workshop is sponsored by the TINA consortium, so that the entry
> is
> >      free.
> >      Nevertheless, we need to know the number of persons who will attend
> >      determine the room size, so be kind enough to register if you or a
> >      representant of your company are coming.
> >
> >      Martine Lapierre
>
> > 3  times a year, all telecom operators, telecom manufacturers and IT/IP
> manufacturers
> > use to meet in the TINA Consortium Technical Forum for a week of
> worgroups exchanges,
> > Request For Pproposals examinations, including an open workshop.
> >
> > EURESCOM and the TINA Consortium are pleased to invite you to the
> October 98 open
> > workshop on H323/IP, that will focus mainly  on 2 issues:
> > -     The re-use of the existing vocal services unto a VoIP network
> > -     The network architecture and signalling for an IP based vocal and
> data operator.
> >
> > During the afternoon, four presentations and an open discussion will
> take place.
> >
> > AGENDA:
> >

> > Introduction  Martine LAPIERRE,TINA-C president
> >
> > Christian HUITEMA, Bellcore   : Controling routers with the SGCP
> protocol defined by
> > Bellcore and Cisco; the IETSF group; VoIP network architectures
> >
> > Ike ELLIOT, Level3 and Pete O'CONNELL, Alcatel: Controling VoIP networks
> with IPDC;
> > associated network architectures
> >
> > Didier GUY (France Telecom): what could be the future of the telecom
> Switches; can TINA
> > bring something to VOIP?
> >
> > William NAVARRO (ETSI/UMTS/TFO Leader, Nortel): introducing VoIP in
> mobile networks:
> > the Tandem Free Operations signalling, and the IP based UMTS Phase 2
> [...]
Nancy Greene  (internally Nancy-M Greene)
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel
NOTE NEW #'s: T:514-271-7221 (internally ESN853-1077)
E:ngreene at nortel.com

E:ngreene at nortel.com

E:ngreene at nortel.com