Overlapped Sending and LRQ

Chris Purvis WVdevmt-WS cpurvis at MADGE.COM
Thu Oct 1 09:53:29 EDT 1998

Sarah,

The overlapped send section as I understand it is predicated on the
following assumptions:
1. A number that is incomplete can not also be complete!  If this
guideline is not followed, an endpoint in a zone separate from those of
the two endpoint 1234 and 12345 (say) that attempts to dial a number one
digit at a time will NEVER be able to get through to 12345!
2. Numbers are unique.
3. A gatekeeper will know from the format and first part of a number how
long it should be.

For example a gatekeeper might assume that if a number is not in its own
zone (and therefore known by it) then to stand any chance it will have to
be a full international number, whose format and length are specified in
E.164.

Public numbering plans do need to be covered as part of the Annex G
effort, if we are going to attempt to do anything meaningful there with
phone number-type addresses (as opposed to emailid-type addresses).
Unfortunately the political minefield is considerable.  In the meantime
some sort of special knowledge on the part of each gatekeeper is assumed.

Regards,
Chris
--
Dr Chris Purvis - Senior Development Engineer, WAVE CC Software
Madge Networks Ltd, Wexham Springs, Framewood Road, Wexham, Berks.
Phone:+44 1753 661359  email: cpurvis at madge.com