Gk-GK Call signalling - security????

Sengodan Senthil NRC/Boston sengodan at NASBPD01BS.ntc.nokia.com
Tue Oct 13 11:50:56 EDT 1998

I believe ITU will in fact provide the needed security features for inter-gatekeeper communication. The determined version of Annex G already has an authentication field in the zone exchange messages. However, providing such fields does not guarantee interoperability unless specific security mechanisms are mandated - which the ITU will probably not get into. This work - of specifying security profiles for interoperability - falls within IMTC VoIP and TIPHON.

Regarding Jan's comment, as Gur alluded to, Annex G's  immediate focus is address resolution. Other features, I believe, will be added after this is tackled.

 - Senthil

Senthil Sengodan
Nokia Research Center, Boston
 ----------
From: Euchner Martin
To: IMTC VoIP reflector; Klasen, Wolfgang; Euchner, Martin
Subject: RE: Gk-GK Call signalling - security????
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1998 3:11PM

I'm somewhat confused about the statement that Annex G security issues are
not in the scope of ITU's work but inTiphon/IMTC.
>From my impression of the recent ITU-T SG16 meeting in Geneva, the demand
for better security regarding the inter-GK scenario was very clearly
expressed. For obvious reasons, ITU's work on defining enhancements in annex
G implies to address also the security issues in an appropriate way. The
requirements section in annex G lists already several security requirements,
so this work item is already part of their work. Of course, there is no real
need to invent new security solutions for annex G in case other standards
bodies have some appropriate technology available that could be referenced
for example.
Whatever security solutions will come out, the result could very smoothly be
described and added to the H.235 security recommendation. Note, that current
H.235 provides already (some) security solutions to H.225.0; thus, annex G
security features seem a natural enhancement to this work.

martin.