H.323 Annex E

Bell, Bob bbell at SELSIUS.COM
Wed Nov 25 11:49:38 EST 1998

I would second this proposal. The exchange of signalling transport
requirements belongs in a CAPS type exchange.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoav Medan [mailto:MEDAN at HAIFA.VNET.IBM.COM]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 1998 9:52 AM
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: H.323 Annex E

Kishore,

IMHO this is more than just an interesting approach. I can see a backward
compatibility problem only when endpoints are trying to engage in a
peer-to-peer call setup (no GK, thank you). But in a GK routed call setup,
why not negotiate UDP or TCP as part of the initial caps exchange? This
applies to both endpoint-GK and to GK-GK communications, as you cleverly
pointed out.

I think we ought to design Internet "Green" (i.e. friendly) protocols that
do not flood the network with redundant information unnecessarily. Let's be
clever about it rather than smart.

Regards
Yoav Medan
IBM Research, Haifa Lab, Israel

Kishore Ramisetty <kish at TRILLIUM.COM> on 20-11-98 09:57:50 PM

Please respond to Mailing list for parties associated with ITU-T Study
      Group 16 <ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM>