Fw: May 28 Remote Device Control Conference

Gary A. Thom gthom at DELTA-INFO.COM
Tue May 19 19:33:41 EDT 1998

dear SG16 colleagues,

In the discussion on SUDs, I would like to state that we should specify
the capabilities that are supported in the various devices. To my
understanding, we are now in the early phase of defining SUDs for the
black phone, secure black phone and the text telephone.
I think the concept of SUDs is very powerful since the market is asking
for this. Therefore, I also believe that this is just the beginning of a
long list of single use devices.
In order to prevent interoperability problems between two SUDs, or
between an H.323 compliant device and a SUD, I propose to specify
capabilities that are supported in these devices, in terms of Venn
diagrams. For instance, a black phone is a subset of a secure
blackphone, and does not contain any extra features, and both lay within
the scope of all H.323 capabilities, as does the text telephone. This
text phone however, has got some properties in common with the
blackphone, but not all.

I'm sure that this will be helpful in the future in case discussions
rise on how to define more SUDs than just these three.
I hope this will also help us now in specifying how we provide
interoperablility.

bye for now,
Jeroen de Muijnck
KPN Research