XRS RequestSeqNum can't be zero

Ernst Horvath Ernst.Horvath at SIEMENS.AT
Fri Mar 6 03:29:53 EST 1998

Dear Mr. Long,

A clean fix for the problem you discovered would be to allow 0 as a
special value in RequestSeqNum:

   RequestSeqNum ::= INTEGER (0|1..65535)
    -- 0 reserved for XRS if the received message could not be decoded

(A similar problem exists in ROSE where the InvokeID - an INTEGER - is
used to associate responses with requests; usually the response contains
the same InvokeID as the request, except when the request cannot be
decoded. In this case a Reject is sent with InvokeID ::= NULL. The same
approach could be used in H.225.0, but this would be a rather drastic
change totally incompatible with version 1).

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG

Paul Long wrote:
> Annex H/H.225.0v2 states that "RequestSeqNum ::= INTEGER (1..65535),"
> but 7.17/H.225.0v2 says that requestSeqNum in XRS "shall be the
> requestSeqNum of the unknown message, if it can be decoded, and zero
> otherwise."
>
> Two problems:
>
> 1. It can't be set to zero because that value would be out of range,
so
> H.225.0 contradicts itself here.
>
> 2. If the requestSeqNum of the unknown message cannot be decoded,
there
> is no way to indicate this in the XRS.
>
> The receiver of XRS doesn't know whether the value, let's say 1,
> reflects the value of the decoded requestSeqNum of the unknown message
> or is a dummy value used in place of an undecodable requestSeqNum.
IOW,