Real Time Device Control

Gary A. Thom gthom at DELTA-INFO.COM
Fri Mar 20 14:00:48 EST 1998

All,

Please remember that Q14 is supposed to be working on the low level Real Time Device Control (RDC)
protocol/procedure for H.245 based systems.

I encourage all interested parties to give this serious consideration, and submit proposals to the
Yokosuka meeting.

This is particularly important for those who object to using T.120 for RDC. At the Geneva meeting,
much of this work was moved back into Q3, because there was no objection during the Joint Q3/Q14
meeting. If we do not develop a proposal which takes into account the Q11-14 needs, they will move
forward developing a T.120 based solution.

To start the discussion:

There are probably may approaches, some are:

1) Run H.281 FECC over a UDP logical channel. With H.224, without H.224, or with some other low level
protocol to assure delivery.

2) Develope a more robust RDC protocol to run over a TCP/UDP logical channel.

3) Provide FECC like functions within H.245. (not a good idea).

4) Provide FECC like functions within T.120. (This was the approach before the RDC work was moved to
Q14 last year.)

This work should be coordinated for use in H.323, H.324, H.310 systems which all use H.245 and
logical channels.

Please begin discussion and preparation of proposals for the April meeting

Also, Tom Geary, could you please send this to the Q11 reflector.

Thanks

Gary
Name   : Gary A. Thom
Company: Delta Information Systems, Inc.
Address: 300 Welsh Rd., Bldg 3
         Horsham, PA 19044 USA
Phone  : +1-215-657-5270         Fax : +1-215-657-5273
E-mail : gthom at delta-info.com