conferenceListChoice

Stewart, Glenn gstewart at SONUSNET.COM
Tue Jun 23 10:17:04 EDT 1998

Chris,

Actually I agree with you, getting a list of conferences to Join in
response to a create is kind of odd...

The reason this occurs is that unlike T.120 there is no initial query
function in H.323 call setup for the calling terminal to find out the
nature of the called terminal.  In general terminals (H.323 and H.320
for that matter) provide users a simple phone call model UI.  The user
provides an address and the terminal calls it.  In this interface
(unless the terminal requires or caches information about the nature of
the target) the terminal is not aware of the intent of the call.  In
fact the user may not be aware of the ultimate intent of the call.  Much
of the time the user just wants to make a simple point to point
connection and so one model is that the calling terminal simply asks the
called party/terminal to create a conference.  If the called party does
not want to create the conference it refuses the connection and provides
potential information on how to proceed.  One of these possible
the user allowing the user to select conference he or she would like to
join.

I should point out there are terminals that make the user determine a
priori the nature of the call (i.e., the user must indicate they are
calling an MCU (or conference service) and would like to join a
conference).  While obviously being technically clean and correct, I
personally, find them difficult to use.  The model provided above,
although "strange", is actually more intuitive in my opinion.

glenn