GloballyUniqueID duplicates

Glen Freundlich ggf at lucent.com
Wed Jun 17 04:28:56 EDT 1998

According to H.225.0 section 7.6:

"The clock sequence is required to detect potential losses of
monotonicity of the clock."

...and...

"While a node is operational, the GloballyUniqueID generator always
saves the last UTC used to create a GloballyUniqueID. Each time a new
GloballyUniqueID is created, the current UTC is compared to the saved
value and if either the current value is less (the non-monotonic clock
case) or the saved value was lost, then the clock sequence is
incremented modulo 16,384, thus avoiding production of duplicate
GloballyUniqueIDs."

The obvious interpretation :-) is that the clock sequence is incremented
when the clock value of the previous GloballyUniqueID and current clock
do not allow unique identification. I'd be glad to modify the text to
make this clear.

Perhaps we could also add clarifying text to the implementors guide.

Glen

Glen Freundlich                           ggf at lucent.com
Lucent Technologies                       office: +1 303 538 2899
11900 N. Pecos                            fax: +1 303 538 3907
Westminster, Colorado 80234  USA