H.225 Annex G topics

Roy, Radhika R, ALTEC rrroy at ATT.COM
Thu Jul 23 08:27:57 EDT 1998

Hi Everyone:

This proposal of Videoserver suggests a specific implementation scheme that
is known as "hierarchical (or centralized)" model. A hierarchical model has
both advantages and disadvantages (we had many discussions on this before).

However, Annex G does not impose any restriction how the system organization
will look like. Consequently, the system organization can be
"non-hierarchical (or distributive)", "hierarchical (or centralized)", or
"hybrid (distributive + centralized)" as proposed in APC 1385, and can be
chosen depending what is best from an implementation point of view.

The important point is that a "zone" having a single gatekeeper (GK) remains
the basic building block. A domain may consist of multiple zones. The
possible logical organizational relationship for communications between the
multiple zones can be "distributive", "centralized", or "hybrid" as proposed
in APC 1385. The fundamental questions are as follows:

*       Can we define the inter-GK communications protocol (IGCP) that
satisfies the requirements in "distributive", "centralized", and "hybrid"
system organizational environment?
*       Can we use the same RAS protocol that will provide the scalable
solution for both connection oriented and connectionless networking
environment considering the large-scale H.323 network? Or do we need the
extension of this RAS protocol?

Therefore, it is strongly suggested that the above points that are being
suggested in APC 1385 should also be included in the work scope of Annex G.

Thanks and regards,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
Tel: (732) 949 8657