T.120/H.323 Harmonization Changes

Pat Galvin pgalvin at DataBeam.com
Thu Jan 8 17:03:17 EST 1998

Dear Mr. Okubo, Mr Harasaki, and other Q.12/16 experts,

Attached please find some comments regarding open logical channel and
Section_8_rev.mw6.

Best regards,

Li Yan
Lucent Technologies                     Phone: 732-957-3877
2E-433, 200 Laurel Ave.,                Fax:   732-957-5627
Middletown, NJ, 07733                   E-amil:lyan at lucent.com
U.S.A.

1. Open logical channels for the 1st terminal, 2nd terminal, etc.

SO> One point I need your views is the way to open logical channels. In
SO> Section 8.3.1 (first terminal added to the conference), the text SO>
reads As follows:

SO> "After establishment of the additional VC(s), the procedures of SO>
H.245 shall be used to open the desired video, audio, data, and/or SO>
control logical channels using logical channel signaling protocol SO>
and bi-directional logical channel signaling protocol defined in SO>
H.245."

SO> In Sections 8.3.2 (second terminal added to the conference) and SO>
8.3.3 (third terminal added to the conference), however, it reads as SO>
follows:

SO> "An MCU shall open the desired video, audio, data, and/or control
SO> logical channels using the logical channel signaling protocol and
SO> bi-directional logical channel signaling protocol defined in H.245."

SO> The difference is intentional? If uni-directional logical channel
SO> Signaling is used, not only MCU but also the terminal should SO>
establish the logical channel, otherwise we cannot have SO>
bi-directional video transmission, for example. If all logical SO>
channels are bi-directional, then there is a reason for MCU to open SO>
them because it is the master.  Note that H.310 strongly recommends SO>
to use the bi-directional logical channel signaling if the media is SO>
bi-directional.

SO> The first description is applicable to all the cases, while the SO>
second description may be more appropriate to the current multipoint SO>
case.  In the latter case, we need to add some language that the SO>
logical channels should always be bi-directional.

SO> Any thoughts?

My original text was focus only on tightly coupled MCU ( VC connection
configuration a)), where bi-directional logical channels are always used
for all the terminals connected to MCU.  Now, since we want the
procedures to cover other connection configurations, such as in Figure
2, b), c), and d), your changes to use the first description to replace
others are more proper.

2. Can we change the "under working" in 8.5.2, 8.6, and exceptional
procedures to "For further study"?