Clarification of tunneling text in H.323v2

Toby Nixon tnixon at MICROSOFT.COM
Thu Feb 12 21:13:35 EST 1998

After going back over the Tunneling text in H.323v2 on the airplane home, I
wished I had added one more clause to the first and second sentences of the
second paragraph of the new section 8.2.3, as follows: "shall set the
H245Tunneling flag to FALSE on all subsequent Q.931 messages,". It would
then read like this:

        If tunneling was being used, the endpoint initiating the separate
H.245 connection shall not send any further tunneled H.245 messages on the
call signalling channel, shall set the H245Tunneling flag to FALSE on all
subsequent Q.931 messages, and shall send no H.245 messages on the separate
H.245 connection until the establishment of the TCP connection is
acknowledged. The endpoint acknowledging opening of the separate H.245
connection shall set the H245Tunneling flag to FALSE on all subsequent Q.931
messages, and shall not send any further tunneled H.245 messages on the call
signalling channel after acknowledging the opening of the separate H.245
connection.

The fact that this is required is implied by the text that follows (which
depends on the flag being set FALSE on subsequent messages), but the
insertion of these clauses would make it explicit.

Does anyone else think this would be helpful?  Should we think about putting
this in the implementor's guide? Or am I just being my usual verbose self?

        -- Toby
Toby Nixon, Program Manager - NetMeeting
http://www.microsoft.com/netmeeting
Microsoft Corporation, Applications and Internet Client Group, Redmond  WA
USA
+1 (425) 936-2792     Fax: +1 (425) 936-7329    mailto:tnixon at microsoft.com