Input TDs for the coming SG16 meeting

Sakae OKUBO okubo at giti.or.jp
Mon Aug 31 22:23:26 EDT 1998

Douglas:

Thanks for the reply. Now we have the chance to go for the next step to
understand the short comings of the present H.323v2 as well as proposed
extension specified in AT&T's distributed model.

I would like to separate the answer in two parts: 1. General aspects of
H.323 and 2. Specific to Vivian's topology and configuration.

General aspects of H.323:
----------------------------------

H.323 is a multimedia application, and is independent of the underlying
transport networks (i.e., LAN, IP, ATM, FR, and/or others - in any
combinations). H.323 considers only H.323 entities (e.g., terminals, MCs,
MCUs, etc) and GKs. The communications occur between H.323 entiries and GKs,
and between GKs. A single GK controls and manages a zone, and a zone may be
independent of network topology and may composed of multiple segments which
are connected using routers, switches, and/or other devices.

H.323 does envision communications between the GKs. For example, LRQ
messages are sent between the GKs. Between the GKs, as mentioned earlier,
there can be many routers, switches, or other devices. This implies an
"abstraction of routing"  for sending the RAS messages between the GKs at
the H.323 level, however, the specific implementation of "routing" of the
RAS messages at the "network level" is not addressed in H.323v2.

[In AT&T's distributed model, it is proposed that all GKs should be capable
to exchanges all RAS signaling messages (not only LRQ as envisions by the
present H.323v2) to solve problems, and the "pathValue" field has been
introduced to formalize the "abstraction of routing" notion between the GKs
at the H.323 level considering the multiple-GK environment. At H.323 level,
AT&T's proposed contribution does not propose any "specific routing schemes"
or "routing interfaces".]

H.323 envisions that all communications shall be done between H.323 entities
such as H.323 terminals, MCUs, MCs, and GKs. At H.323 level, the
communications can take place within a given zone or between multiple zones.
At H.323 level, the communication topology has be covered by the single zone
GK or multiple zone GKs. H.323 cannot offer any help if the communication
topology is not covered by the H.323 GKs.

H.323v2 does not provide mechanisms how the MCUs should be chosen
automatically in view of multiple MCUs. That is, a specific MCU has to be
chosen by the calling party. (The automatic call deflection by the setup
message by a new party to an established multipoint [N-party call]
conference call to a MCU is not supported by H.323v2 unless somehow the
required MCU's known address is put in the setup message.)

At H.323 level, Communications are done between the H.323 entities: H.323
terminals, H.323 MCUs, H.323 GKs, etc., and there is no "notion" of
communications of "local" or "remote".

Specific to Vivian's topology and configuration:

In Vivian's configuration, only one MCU has been shown, and that MCU is
located in a separate zone. There are 4 zones (GK1, GK2, GK3, and GK4) where
H.323 terminals are located, and one MCU in a separate zone that has its own
GK.

According to AT&T's proposal, the GKs will be able to know where the MCU is
located through exchanging of RAS messages (e.g., LRQs). The calling party
may select the MCU where the conference will be controlled. The GKs will be
able to send the signaling messages to the particular GK where the MCU is
located.

AT&T's proposal allows the ARQ and other RAS messages between the source and
destination GKs so that all GK s between the source-destination entities
(the word "path" may be mis-understood) can work cooperatively from the
resource management point of view whether a call be accepted or not before
the actual call is setup.

A MCU that will be controlling the multipoint conference call will be the
master.

If a new party (e.g., F in Vivian's example) wants to join the "already"
established "multipoint" conference call, F has to join the conference via
the MCU (most like to know the conference bridge number priori from the
calling party E1 by F). The present H.323v2 does not provide any mechanisms
to deflect the setup message of a new joining member automatically to go the
MCU (until the new calling party [in this case it is  F] knows priori the
address of the MCU).

{RSVP reserves the bandwidth at the network level especially in the IP
network, and RSVP even may not be applicable to reserve the bandwidth at the
LAN. Similarly, there are many mechanisms may be available for the ATM
network level. These BW/QOS schemes are limited to the network level only.
However, H.323 is an application, any the "abstraction" of BW/QOS is
end-to-end that include resources for "network level"  as well as "upper
middleware level" at the H.323 call level.}

I hope that my above answers will clarify all questions that you might have.
If any more questions remain, please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Radhika