H.225.0 Annex G conference call

Roy, Radhika R, ALTEC rrroy at ATT.COM
Wed Aug 5 13:35:12 EDT 1998

Hi Everyone:

We are in receipt of the revised Annex-G sent by Glenn Freundlich via email.
It appears that the present Annex G write-up and email are yet to reflect
the true essence that had been discussed in the conference calls as well as
communicated via emails (copies of the emails including Santo Wiryamen's are
also enclosed). The specific points are mentioned below:

1.      The modified title of Annex G is very restrictive, and is NOT
acceptable. The title of the Annex G should remain as it was before -
"Gatekeeper-to-Gatekeeper Communications". (The communication between
administrative domain will only be one of the customized scenarios for
communications between the gatekeepers. It is a complete surprise to see
such a major change has been made all on a sudden).
2.      Section 1.1 (Scope). The scope of Annex G should be
"Inter-gatekeeper communications that will include inter-gatekeeper
communications within a given domain as well as communications between the
(administrative) domains". (So, the present objective that restricts for
dealing communications between the administrative domains only is NOT
acceptable).
3.      Section 1.1 (Scope). It has been mentioned that "It should also be
understood that Annex G does not mandate a specific system architecture
within an administrative domain". This should NOT be a mandatory in the
standard. Rather, we can keep this as an option depending on the choice of
the implementation schemes. That is, the standard MUST provide all the
options to reveal about the protocols, organization or architecture within a
given administrative domain leaving no room for proprietary implementations
schemes.

In view of the above limitations of the present Annex G write-up (Title and
Section 1.1), the following have been proposed:

1.      The title of Annex G should remain as it was before: "Annex G -
Gatekeeper-to-Gatekeeper Communications."
2.      Scope of Annex G should be divided into two parts: A.
Inter-Gatekeeper Communications Within a Domain, and B. Inter-Gatekeeper
Communications Between Domains.
3.      A domain has to be defined further. For example, a domain may
consist of multiple zones.
4.      Inter-gatekeeper communications between the multiple zones of a
given domain has to be standardized as it has been outlined in Santo
Wiryamen's email and APC-1385 (more contributions from AT&T [to be released
after internal review in the Spetember'98 ITU-T SG 16 meeting] for
inter-gatekeeper communications in a given domain that will use
non-hierarchical model will be submitted. All other companies are also
encouraged to submit contributions in this area. Annex G will be expanded as
soon as those contributions are received).
5.      A single administrator will also be able to create multiple domains
for its own internal communications for scalability or other purposes for
the large H.323 network. Then, this communication between such domains is
known as "Inter-Gatekeeper Communications Between Domains".
6.      If a domain belongs to a single administrator, and communications
between such administrative domains need to happen, then the communication
between such administrative domains is termed as "Inter-Gatekeeper
Communications Between Administrative Domains".
7.      The inter-gatekeeper communications between (administrative) domains
can also be non-hierarchical, hierarchical, and hybrid (non-hierarchical +
hierarchical). However, present contributions have been provided only for
hierarchical models, and non-hierarchical and hybrid models will be
addressed as soon as contributions will be received in these areas.

Specific comments related to Section 1.2:

1.      Definitions for "H.323 network", "zone" and "domain" should also be
included (in addition to "Administrative Domain" and "Border Element").

Specific comments related to Section 1.3:

1.      The title of this section should be changed to "Hierarchical
Inter-Gatekeeper Communications Between Administrative Domains". The
write-up should be modified to take into account all the comments given
above.

Specific comments related to Sections 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.5.2.1-1.5.2.7:

1.      These sections are general enough to be used in the context of a
zone. In fact, it is a very good one. These items are very useful for
communications between the zones within a given domain. AT&T contribution
that is expected be submitted (yet to obtain clearance) may also propose to
use these message sets for inter-zone communications in a given domain.

In view of the above comments, it is proposed that the outline of Annex G
should be modified as follows:

1. Annex G - Gatekeeper-to-Gatekeeper Communications
1.1     Scope
1.2     Definitions
1.3     Inter-Gatekeeper Communications Within a Given Domains
1.3.1 Requirements
1.3.1   Non-Hierarchical (Distributive)
1.3.2   Hierarchical (Centralized)
1.3.3   Hybrid (Non-Hierarchical + Hierarchical)
1.4     Inter-Gatekeeper Communications Between (Administrative) Domains
1.4.1 Requirements
1.4.1   Non-Hierarchical
1.4.2   Hierarchical*
1.4.3   Hybrid (Non-Hierarchical + Hierarchical)
1.5     References
1.6     Protocols

(* The present write-up addresses this model only. The other models will be
addressed as soon as contributions will be brought in those areas).

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
Holmdel, NJ 07733, USA