APC document numbers

Sakae OKUBO okubo at GCTECH.CO.JP
Mon Apr 6 01:45:04 EDT 1998

Dear Q.11-14 Yokosuka Rapporteur meeting participants,

I am sorry that this mail is not a contribution nor a meeting announcement.
Today I need someone's help for computer setup announcement.

AC power and 10Base-T port are available at Yokosuka Rapporteur meeting
site.  We will also prepare
        a DHCP server for easy IP address assignment,
        a filer server for document exchange and
        a router for the Internet access.

I am now preparing a final meeting announcement, and I would like to
include a section describing "How to setup your computer at the meeting
site".  But I am afraid whether the following announcement is adequate
or not.

5. FILE SERVER and INTERNET ACCESS

AC power (100 volt) and 10Base-T port are available in any conference
room.  DHCP server will automatically assign your IP address from
private address space (i.e. 192.168.0.0/24).  If your computer does not
accept DHCP protocol, contact Mr. X for your IP address assignement.
Setup microsoft network client and NetBIOS on a top of TCP/IP protocol,
because the file server is Unix machine with Samba daemon.  The
workgroup and computer name of the server is "xxxx" and "yyyyyy",
respectively.  The meeting site is connected to the Internet with 128Kbps
dedicated line. The router with network address translation (NAT) and IP
masquerade functions will translate your private IP address to one from
global IP addresses allocated from an internet provider.

Q1. With the above announcement, can you setup your own laptop by yourself?

Q2. Should I include the following detailed Windows95 setup procedure?

        Start -> Setup -> Control panel -> Network ->
        "TCP/IP -> your Eternet I/F" property -> IP address

Q3. Is the above detailed procedure correct in Windows 95 English version?

Q4. Is the description "setup microsoft network client and NetBIOS on a top
    of TCP/IP protocol" correct?

Looking forward to your help.

Hidenobu Harasaki           harasaki at ccm.CL.nec.co.jp
Principal Researcher        C&C Media Research Labs., NEC Corporation
                            Phone: +81 44 856 8083    Fax: +81 44 856 2232