A scenario that cannot be solved without APC-1280 or deferred "Connect"

Scott Petrack Scott_Petrack at VOCALTEC.COM
Tue Sep 9 12:32:36 EDT 1997

Ben,

Discussion in Sun River brought out that a careful reading of H.225, H.245,
and H.323 implies the following:

1. It is allowed to start H.245 negotiation as soon as the CallSetup
message is received.
2. Once  H.245 negotiation begins, it can proceed to open logical channels
at it's own pace.
3. Once an open logical channel is opened and acknowledged, media streaming
should begin right away.

So it seems to be entirely possible to do media streaming before a CONNECT
message, and the CONNECT message can retain its usual Q.921 meaning.

You can call this "deferred Connect", but it'd be better not to give it any
special name. It's just a compliant H.323 implementation. The CONNECT isn't
deferred, it comes at just the right time -- when the endpoint wants to
signal that the call has connected.... This may or may not be after some
media has been streamed.

Scott Petrack
Principal Technologist
VocalTec Communications Ltd.
petrack at vocaltec.com

btang at LUCENT.COM on 09/09/97 04:50:36 PM

Please respond to ITU-SG16 at mailbag.jf.intel.com